Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Stay-at-home vs. working moms

"And you work, too?'' The question -- I'm never sure how to interpret it -- prompts me to launch into an explanation of why I work. Am I admired for juggling work family or scorned as a substandard mother who should have cut out all "extras'' to be home for my children?
A recent article on stay-at-home Moms prompted letters letters from working mothers, defending their status. Some stay-at-home mothers also told me they feel they have to explain why they didn't return to work when their children were in school.
How do the two "sides'' really see each other?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who cares what they think of each other. Women were forced into the marketplace during the 1970's. There was a tremendous inflation in a short time. Many women who would have liked to stay home with their children had to go to work for one reason. MONEY! Check into the typical fuel, gasoline, mortgage payments, electric bills, taxes, etc. vs. the typical take home pay and it is obvious why women must work outside of the home.

2/20/2006 07:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home