Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

American Idolatry

OK, so the whole family watches American Idol. It's not exactly "Meet the Press," but it's something the whole household enjoys. We started last year, with my kids cheering on Carrie Underwood while I silently rooted for Bo Bice. This year we were all split for awhile, but now we're all on the same page: Taylor Hicks. I was a Chris Daughtry fan until he departed, then was torn between Taylor (my friend Carole has been a Taylor nut since the auditions) and Elliott. Now I'm hoping Taylor takes it all ... he's a different breed of American Idol, for sure.

Are the two remaining "idols" the two who should be there? It would be interesting to look at the actual voting results after each week, to see if people still vote for their "favorite" even after a poor performance -- there were a few times that mistake-ridden performances were overlooked, or likely "forgiven." I also wonder who gets a boost by usurping the votes of the person defeated the week before. Will Elliott Yamin fans disappointed last week turn to Katharine McPhee or Taylor Hicks? We'll see. My favorite is gone. But for Carole's sake, I'm hoping it's Taylor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home