Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Friday, April 28, 2006

No "Little Houses" in the attic

My 8-year-old daughter has discovered the "Little House" series of books. She's wrapping up "Little House in the Big Woods" on Sunday and dove right into "Little House on the Prairie." Couldn't wait to bring it to school this morning to show her teacher.
I'm thrilled. I devoured those books too. And when the TV series came out, I was roughly the same age as the actresses who played Laura and Mary Ingalls, so I watched -- with a sympathetic eye -- their escapades with the evil Nellie Olsen.
Only thing I'm NOT thrilled about is that I didn't hang onto my books. We pass down pieces of jewelry and other family heirlooms. Is there anything from your childhood that you held onto for your children? Anything you wish you did?
We've got a great tradition still going in the family -- a Christening gown and the wicker basinet first used by my father, uncle and aunt. They're both carefully preserved and have been used by three generations now.
I wish I held onto those books, but sometime, long ago, they were given away. So I'm starting a new collection of the hard-covers for my daughter -- at 18 bucks a pop, we're picking them up one by one, but that adds to her excitement too. Then her little sister can read them when she's ready. Then I'm putting them away until a granddaughter arrives.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had kept my old geography books from childhood where I had written notes in the margins.

5/02/2006 11:36:00 AM  
Blogger Clare McDowell said...

OK, I have to ask.
What did you write in the margins of your geography books?????

5/03/2006 01:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home