Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Driving lessons on life

It's so hard reading about the three teens killed in Freehold yesterday. I couldn't help tearing up several times, thinking of those families, those kids. Our oldest child can get his permit this year. My husband and I were going to teach him ourselves. Now, I'm rethinking just having us teach him. One of the people who posted a response in our online forum wrote of signing up his or her teen for a defensive driving course. I think, after our regular lessons, that's going to be in our teen's near future.
First, I'm going to make my teen read this article from beginning to end. It's not a lecture, it's a devastating lesson that "invincible" teens need to learn. We've already had the "If your driver has anything to drink or any drugs" talk. But the speed at which this car was being driven is believed to be a factor in this accident.
I remember being a teen driver, and the excitement, and the stupidity of myself and of other teen drivers. And I've read of too many fatal accidents lately involving teen drivers speeding, illegally passing or drag racing. It terrifies me, and I can only pray my words, and these articles, sink in with my own kids.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even before your son receives his license, give him the following gifts: (1) a cell phone and (2) a $50 gift certificate from a local and reputable taxi company. ($50 in cab fare will get him home from just about any point in Monmouth County.)

Make him promise you that he will never get in a vehicle with anyone that has had even one drink, including himself. If he ever comes home one morning and tells you, "Mom, I used that taxi gift certificate that you gave me last night," buy another one that day, hug him and then promptly say a little prayer of thanks to your son's guardian angel.

I'll keep your son and your family in my prayers.

A MOTHER'S PRAYER TO THE GUARDIAN ANGELS OF HER CHILDREN

1/11/2007 06:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

next lession is "YOU" teach your kids how to operate a car do not leave it up to public schools "drivers ed".Our public schools do a poor job educating our kids for life as it is .But letting them to teach how to drive is insaine ,this kid broke one of the the most important rules .I taught my daughter ...only ONE friend in your car at any time I got a lot of complaining but I laid down the law.this is a tough lesson learned

1/12/2007 08:48:00 AM  
Blogger Clare McDowell said...

There's a Parents Guide to Teaching Teens that's given out with every learner's permit ... it's really important that parents familiarize themselves with that, and with the limitations of the stages of the Graduated License program.
I'm still going to teach mine, on top of what they do in school, but I think that defensive driving course sounds like a great idea too. I was talking this over with another mom last night, and she pointed out that on top of giving parents more peace of mind, those added courses can get you an insurance break. Even without, the money spent is worth the investment in helping make a young driver more safe.
Thanks pappy, for the taxi tip ... do they have gift certificates at cab companies? I've never heard of that. But that's a great idea, especially when a teen may have every intention of calling a parent, but doesn't want to do so in front of friends. That would give them an easy "out."

1/12/2007 10:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home