Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Gov. Corzine, a stand-up kind of guy?

I've heard comments on both sides of whether the one-liners in Gov. Corzine's State of the State speech were appropriate, or funny, for that matter.
Me? I appreciate the breaks in what is usually a long, boring speech. I laughed at his comment about having to learn "more about bear contraception than any of you'd like to know." We get lots of letters from both sides on bear and deer hunts. I sympathize with the guv there. And I like anyone who manages to get "Batman and Robin" into a political speech.

Sure, some of his lines landed with a thud. But he doesn't profess to be another Henny Youngman ("Take Hudson County, Please!"). But I thought the occasional, lighter breaks in a political speech that lasted roughly 45 minutes were welcome.
Some may say the State of the State speech was not the time to be trying out for open-mic night. Or that New Jersey has enough jokes already. But the jokes, good and bad, kept me awake.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I particularly liked the way Corzine promised not to raise my taxes during the campaign and then turned around and raised all sorts of taxes just months after taking office. Yeah, that one really had me splitting a rib.

Jon Corzine: I'm the Tax Man, Baby!

1/10/2007 04:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's The Spending, Stupid!

1/10/2007 07:08:00 PM  
Blogger Clare McDowell said...

Ya gotta love YouTube ... I had seen the tax man, but hadn't seen pappy's post. I caught another one on there, that came up with those. I don't know if this will post as a link, it doesn't in my preview, but it's titled

Corzine Tells the Truth

1/11/2007 11:23:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corzine Tells the Truth

1/11/2007 12:44:00 PM  
Blogger Clare McDowell said...

Thanks pappy!

1/11/2007 03:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home