Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

What a waste

I heard someone on the radio this morning talking about how the Newark school district throws out a lot of unused food and unopened milk cartons every day after the kids have eaten. That's one Abbott waste that sickens me; not because of the money but because of the needless waste. Can't they donate what they don't use to a soup kitchen, or allow children to take the extra food home? All those unopened cartons of milk just tossed in the trash. That's horrible.

A friend worked at an Abbott district's summer program and said the same thing happened there. Plates were made up with a sandwich, a piece of fruit and a carton of milk. Whatever didn't get eaten got tossed in the trash, full plates still covered by plastic wrap.
I don't mind feeding the children in those districts ... it's not about the money ... but why toss what they don't use on a daily basis?

I just can't stand the idea of all that perfectly good food going into the trash, but I was told that they have to throw it out. Why? Keep them in the refrigerators until the exact number of children who need food that day is determined. If it's because the districts don't want to get in trouble if the food goes bad, give the cafeteria workers a stamp to mark the date the plate was put together, or a date that it must be eaten by. The milk is probably already marked. Surely that's better than just throwing it out.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And yet the bulletin I receive each Sunday after Mass speaks of the "almost empty" shelves at our church-run food bank.

I love Jersey, Clare. I really do. That said, my wife and I are so sick of these daily stories of corruption and waste that virtually every discussion we have regarding our retirement years involves us living in another state and flying back here to visit our kids.

10/03/2006 02:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home