Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Out of sorts

Well, in case you missed me, I'm back after a two-week vacation. Problem is, I'm scratching my head to remember all my various passwords and the Web sites I usually use on a daily basis. By Wednesday or Thursday I expect I'll be back in the swing of things. But even after this short time off, things seem so foreign, things that will be habit in only a few days are requiring extra thought right now. And where's my stapler? Did I even have a stapler? Did I hide it before I left? How do I sort through the nearly 1,000 e-mails in my inbox? I need more coffee.

The first question is always, "What did you do on your vacation?" I'm not really sure, now that I try and recall what I did. Nothing amazingly interesting to anyone else besides me. Cleaned, back-to-school shopped and spent a lot of time with the kids and visiting family members. I did a lot of jogging in the early mornings -- it was scary, I was hooked on that early-morning run, including a "date with Ernesto" this Saturday, when several people actually pulled over and asked if I wanted a ride, then chided me for jogging in a storm when I declined.
So no spectacular trip to the islands, no frenetic trip to Disney World, not even a camping trip. Celebrated my daughter's 7th birthday, our wedding anniversary, the birth of a good friend's first son, and I remembered what the stove was for and cooked a few times. It's tough to come back to work after all that time of "leisure," whatever that is. But I'm back, and after the cobwebs clear from my head, I'll try and come up with more interesting blogs other than "What I did (or didn't do) on my summer vacation."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Clare! It got so bad during your vacation that I actually took to reading Michael Riley's blogs.

9/05/2006 03:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have the right idea. Vacation is from the Latin word vacatio, which means freedom and exemption. The whole idea is to free yourself from frenzied activity. One guy I know spent six days in Switzerland, going to a different city each day, staying in six different hotels, rushing all the while. What kind of vacation is that????

9/06/2006 11:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home