Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

It's back to school time: So what's on TV?

The McDowell household returned to school and work this week, mostly smooth, except for the surprisingly early bus that left a few dozen high school kids stranded this morning (I took three of them for the half-hour trek to school - seems only the freshmen were notified the new schedule has the bus coming 15 MINUTES EARLIER. AAAAUUUUGGGGHHHHH!

Oh well, it just means I get started 15 minutes earlier, too. And with my youngest starting preschool, that's one more who has to be dressed and ready to go. Last year he often rode in his pajamas to drop his sisters off at school.

After too many crazed mornings, two years ago I started getting everything ready the night before. I'm not an overly organized person, but in this aspect, I now am. I spend a few hours each night reviewing homework, repacking backpacks, making the next day's lunches (hint: freeze the sandwiches the night before, especially PB&J, throw 'em in the backpack in the morning, by lunchtime they seem like they're freshly made. I'm a regular Heloise sometimes), lining up snacks, juice and water bottles and having everything lined up by the door, readying the automatic drip so my beloved coffee will be oh-so-easy to reach in the morning, overseeing piano practice, pajama-putting-on, tooth-brushing, plus cleaning the kitchen (hubby gets dinner ready and feeds everybody, so hey, it's only fair).

Which gets me to my question: What's on TV during that time? After too many times seeing me run back and forth from my nightly routine to the TV room, frantically grabbing the remote from whichever child had it to check the score of a Seton Hall basketball or Giants game, my husband installed a TV in the kitchen. It's mine, all mine, I tell you!

But there are only so many games. And I've lost touch with the evening TV routine. I watched ''American Idol'' last year, in solidarity with Carol G who was enamored with Taylor Hicks since the auditions. And I'm hooked on "House" -- same story formula each week, but you've gotta love Hugh Laurie's dialogue.

I'm a Sunday HBO junkie -- give me ''The Sopranos,'' ''Six Feet Under'' and ''Big Love'' and I'm happy. But I'm at a loss at what else is good in primetime during the week. Any recommendations? Not news -- that's what I watch in the morning and live with all day long. No "survivor" or whatever those shows are that people eat bugs and the like. I'm dealing with a 3-year-old who's reluctantly potty trained. I have enough to gross me out. Any suggestions?

4 Comments:

Blogger Penelope Marzec said...

I really don't watch television except for the news and the tail end of a few shows like Medium and Crossing Jordan, because I don't care about the sports segment of the news.

My sister tells me House is really good.

I bought an exercise machine with a book holder. I have an ebook reader and so I exercise while I read. (Pushing a button is easier than turning a paper page.)

Watching TV is too passive. :^)

9/07/2006 09:22:00 AM  
Blogger Clare McDowell said...

But I can't read when I'm cleaning the kitchen & making lunches and the like!
I do enjoy a little passive time at the end of the day, since my day is so frenetic, starting at 6 a.m. with the early school bus followed by a jog or walk. But get this ... I usually read while I'm watching TV too. That's about as passive as I can get.

9/07/2006 09:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suggest Gilmore Girls on the CW at 8 PM on tuesdays. It's fun, witty and smart. I think you may like it, and if not, it could make for good fodder for your column!

9/11/2006 02:48:00 PM  
Blogger Clare McDowell said...

Nope, nope, nope! That's when "House" is on ... talk about witty and fun! Get this ... my husband and I attended the Asia concert last night at Count Basie (great show, by the way). We went to dinner first, so I called my 15-year-old and asked him to tape House for me, and Law and Order: SVU. Well, he got House OK, but he taped the Law and Order on TNT, the rerun, not the new episode on Channel 4. Oh well, at least the concert was good!

9/13/2006 01:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home