Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Friday, February 16, 2007

Catchy commercials or annoying ads?

While I was watching the Super Bowl, the Geico ad with the cavemen came on. Since commercials were a hot topic that day, we all launched in on our opinion of that campaign. I think it's a riot. I can't believe they've been able to carry this theme so long. As soon as the commercial came on, my friend Mary started laughing too, saying she was surprised they've kept it going, but that she gets a kick out of it too. It's so strange, it's funny.
On YouTube, I saw a commercial featuring the Geico caveman golfing with Phil Simms. And there's a Web site now, http://www.cavemanscrib.com/ ... where you can take a virtual tour of the cavemen's apartment.
A few people thought the caveman series was the dumbest ad campaign going. Silly discussion, I know. But that exasperated look he gets when he's fighting for caveman-appreciation, and the "hey, check me out" look he had in the airport when he was trying to see if anyone noticed that he was the guy in the advertisement sign in the airport just crack me up.
Another bizarre ad that I stop and watch each time is the sleep-aid ad with Abe Lincoln and the Groundhog waiting for the guy to fall asleep so they can play chess. Has anybody noticed the guy in the old-fashioned diver costume behind them at the end? Strange! But catchy.
The Geico gecko, however, I've always thought was annoying. But they get the name recognition from all this, so I suppose their ad agency is earning its dough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home