Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Jury duty-lite

A recent news article on new questions that will be asked of those called for jury duty made me remember my duties past. Plenty of people I know have never been called. I have - four times. The first three times, I had to report for at least most of the week, usually getting released Thursday night. Heck, the first time I went - many, many years ago before I gave up cigarettes - there was a "smokers' room" behind the jury gathering room.

The last time I went, it was only for one day. Bummer. But for today's jury duty, you call in the night before, then only go if your number is within the group they bring in. I know it's more convenient all-around, but I got a little nostalgic for jury duty of days gone by. It was a week's break from work and kind of fun.
Each time, I was tossed in with a bunch of strangers and wound up with "jury buddies." We'd hang out and chat in the gathering room and sometimes went to lunch together.

I met some characters. I remember one guy who told a judge that he didn't think he could be impartial on a case that involved a guy who was inebriated and showing off in front of his girlfriend on his motorcycle because he thought "between the hooch, the hog and the hormones, that guy's guilty!" That's one way to get quickly released from the jury box!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Claire, it seems like just yesterday you'd sit at my desk and copy "The Police beat". Really its been 12 years! Time flies when you're having fun huh? I didn't know they selected journalists on juries....

Tim

2/04/2007 12:16:00 PM  
Blogger Clare McDowell said...

If you come back to this post, Tim, refresh my memory, which department? I've pretty much covered every police department in monmouth and ocean at one time or another!
Actually, most of the criminal cases I went into jury pools for I was booted out right away. But I actually was accepted onto two juries, both accident cases. One got settled, the other we got to do the whole jury-room deliberation thing. fun fun fun!
12 years ... has to be western monmouth ... hmmmm, it'll come to me!

2/05/2007 11:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Clare......it was good old Freehold Boro, just a walkd from your office.

2/05/2007 12:12:00 PM  
Blogger Clare McDowell said...

Hey!!! The old freehold school building! I miss those days -- people used to ask me if picking up police blotter was tedious. Not for me ... I loved hanging out with you guys! My 20 minutes of police blotter always turned into a 40-minute visit! Next time I find my way out there, I'll stop in and say hi.

2/05/2007 04:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's nice but you won't be saying hi to me, I retired 12 years ago! Have you touched the keyboards lately?

Tim

2/05/2007 05:55:00 PM  
Blogger Clare McDowell said...

Aha! The only cop I talked "drum corps" with! How are you! Wow, I'll never forget stopping by the department and you bringing out 15-year-old photos of some of the local kids who were in the Royales with me, then saying, "Is that you?" and shore 'nuff, there I was!
What are you up to? Any DCI type stuff?

2/06/2007 09:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well after retirement I played with Hawthorne then with Skyliner alumni for awhile and also taught Southern Region HS band for 5 years.

My e mail Fossil50@aol.com drop a line so we don't clog your blog!I forgot my blogger ID!

Lt. Tim

2/06/2007 10:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home