Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

What about sleep-deprived moms?

The National Sleep Foundation this week issued a report saying our kids aren't getting enough sleep. That may be so, but not in my house. I'm pretty much the only sleep-deprived one there. But we've always insisted on "early to bed, kids." Our little ones are in bed by 8:30 to 9, and sleep until 6:30 or 7. Our teenager has from 9 to 10 to watch TV or go on the computer after his homework time. By 10, he's usually out, too. Mom, on the other hand, gets them all finished with schoolwork and the like, straightens up, reads or watches TV to settle down, falls asleep at midnight and gets up at 6. Now THAT'S sleep deprivation.

But I do hear of other teens who are up watching TV or on the computer until midnight on some school nights, and although my younger children don't have the earliest bedtime in their classes, they certainly don't have the latest. My teen gets 8 to 9 hours, the younger kids get close to 10. I remember a few years back, our nephew stayed with us when he was 18 and 19 years old ... I swear that kid could sleep 20 hours a day. How much sleep do kids need?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home