Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Friday, June 30, 2006

Coming soon: Bridezilla vs. Mothra?

I just don't get the whole concept of being a Bridezilla. These crazy women seem so obsessed about their weddings, I just don't understand how they could possibly enjoy even a single moment. They want the wedding of their dreams. But how can it be if they're overly concerned about every little detail?

Some of my favorite memories of my wedding would send a Bridezilla over the edge, like the photographer stepping on my veil and yanking my head back halfway up the aisle. Or when my stepson, who was 5, got a little overwhelmed by the crowd, so a good deal of my time on the receiving line I had him up in my arms with his head buried in my shoulder. Not a Bridezilla photo op, but a shot of us taken from behind me is one of my favorites.

Regina Santos of Union Beach, who was featured in the Bridezillas reality TV show -- the subject of an article in our On the Run section this week -- spent $106,000 on her wedding. That's exactly what we bought our house for (a few years back, obviously). The producer said she was impressed by the beautiful wedding, and noted that Santos "was still being a Bridezilla at the wedding and the reception, but ... she pulled it off." See: http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060628/LIFE07/606280322&SearchID=73249239024800

Sure, you can look back at the lovely photos, brag about the over-the-top extravagances, but how could it be the wedding of your dreams if you're a total wreck through the whole process? My best friend got married last weekend. There were 180 people at an indoor/outdoor reception on the rainiest day of the year. It poured. But the church was packed: no "skip-the-ceremony" people here, even during a tremendous downpour. And all week, I've heard people talking about how great it was, how much fun they had and how absolutely happy the couple looked. That's what it's all about.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A wedding is a sacred affair between two people -- a bride and her mother.

6/30/2006 08:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds to me like materialism in the extreme. can't see this marriage lasting too long.

7/04/2006 08:36:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OK.in kami Siva style would it be funny if an Asian woman and an American man got married with the man wearing a Godzilla uniform and the woman wearing a mothra costume hmmmmmm?

6/24/2018 01:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home