Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Mom and Dad allowed a keg?

I was floored when I saw the top headline in Saturday's Local News section, "Police stop teen's kegger; family arrested." Seems the Mom and Dad allowed their 18-year-old daughter to have a keg at a "mock wedding" (what the heck is that?) she was hosting. The Mom said "everything was going fine until about 12:30 (a.m.) when people who were uninvited started showing up."
Everything was NOT going fine. There were underage kids drinking in their back yard. And the parents went to bed while the party was going on. Are they out of their minds? OF COURSE there are going to be uninvited kids showing up. If you put a keg in your back yard, word will spread quickly and the "Party at so-and-so's house" will be swarmed by cars filled with teenagers.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clare, look me in the eyes and tell me that you had your first beer sometime after your 21st birthday.

7/26/2006 07:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was in high school, I knew kids who went drinking every weekend. They seemed anxious to shed trappings of childhood and, in effect, become their parents. I think they saw drinking (and smoking) as very adult activities. They thought it would make them seem less childlike. ..... P.S. At the class reunion, they were the ones who looked dragged, drawn, and very old.

7/27/2006 11:11:00 AM  
Blogger Clare McDowell said...

I've got a loophole on this one anonymous ... the drinking age wasn't 21 waaaaay back then. But I can tell you, my folks wouldn't allow me or my siblings to bring in beer (they left no "unattended house" opportunities either) until we were all of age, and after that, only if all of friends were, too!
I've got a teen now ... NO WAY would I let him and his friends have a keg in my back yard at age 17 or 18.

7/28/2006 03:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And besides, St. Rose girls never did anything wrong. :-)

Great blog, Clare!

7/29/2006 10:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home