Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Stop looking and drive!

We've been talking in the office about the handling of accident/construction/gridlock problems on our Parkway and Turnpike. Everybody's been stuck behind an accident at one time or another, and it's a relief when the authorities finally get the lanes moving again.

One thing that really irks me is when you get stuck in traffic, then find out it's because of the idiots in front of you who had to slow down and watch a police car give a ticket to someone, or something equally as silly. Rubberneckers, "Looky Lous" or whatever you want to call them, make me crazy.

A few weeks back, I was bringing my daughters to visit friends in Toms River, and got stuck on the Parkway for about 20 minutes to travel 5 miles. At the end, I saw a cop car pulled over, and the officer was off to the side doing something. I don't know what. I didn't care. But apparently, everyone in front of me did. When I got to my destination and complained, someone laughed and said, "Yeah, everybody has to stop and see the pretty lights" on the police car.

I was slowed down once because everybody wanted to see a firetruck extinguishing a minor brush fire. On my way to Georgia a few years back, I was in bumper-to-bumper traffic for an hour. At the end of it, we found out that the cause was a camper fire. ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD ... our side had nothing blocking the several lanes open to us. As soon as we passed, we were able to speed back up to 65 and had a clear ride.

Can't drivers just ask their passengers to explain what they see, so we can all keep moving? I understand a little slowdown if there's an accident or disabled car on your side of the roadway, for the safety of emergency workers or tow-truck drivers. But the gawking really gets ridiculous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home