Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Driving me crazy

I took my oldest out for his first driving lesson on Sunday. At least he did better than I did. I learned on a stick shift and did nothing but stall out for 15 minutes while my father very patiently (I was the fourth of five kids) said, "Try again." "Try again." "Try again." The whole time, my friend Jane sat on our porch cracking up.
My 15-year-old first thought it would be OK to bring a few friends to sit in the back seat. That got shot down pretty quickly. Then we went to a big empty parking lot where I let him cruise around for about 10 minutes in my minivan. My whiplash is mild. And he now understands that power steering doesn't mean you can "will" the car to turn. "Hand-over-hand, hand-over-hand, HAND-OVER-HAND!" I screamed, as he tried to make a full left turn with his hands still at 10 and 2. "Hit the brakes, hit the brakes, HIT THE BRAKES!!!" was my next motherly suggestion. He took it just in time, before we went out on the street.
I think I'll call my dad for help. He's an ol' pro at this.
I'm also open to suggestions. I have a feeling "Call a driving school" will be high on the list.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took my oldest out for his first driving lesson on Sunday.... I think I will call my dad for help.... I'm also open to suggestions."

Well, for starters, I would petition St. Jude, patron saint of hopeless causes. Incidentally, the hopeless cause is not that your son will learn how to drive -- he'll do fine in that regard -- but rather that you will maintain some semblance of sanity during the process.

Secondly, and just to be on the safe side, I'd probably throw in a 54 day Novena to Our Lady. That may seem like an overreaction at first, but remember that we are talking about a sixteen year-old boy and cars here. Might as well bring out the big guns, so to speak.

All joking aside, good luck and God bless. I think I'll light a votive candle for you this Sunday at Mass. :-)

Prayer to St. Jude

54 Day Novena To Our Lady, Queen of the Rosary

10/17/2006 01:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home