Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Friday, November 03, 2006

Shiver me timbers and show me the three-pointers

Pirate season starts today. I'll be consumed until March. My beloved Seton Hall basketball team plays Bloomfield College tonight at Walsh Gym. My husband and I had season tickets several years back, but for two full-time working parents with four kids (and the cost of babysitters when we do go), it was unrealistic. Now, I go when my folks have extra tickets. They have seats with friends, and when their friends can't go, my brother and I usually get the tickets.

We're huge fans. Dad taught and was an administrator at Seton Hall for 40-plus years. I remember watching games as a kid in Walsh Gym. My parents and grandparents were in their regular seats up high while the kids sat closer to the court.

Brag point: When I was about 12, a ball rolled to me on the sidelines. A player signaled for me to toss it, and I said, "Can I shoot it?" He laughed and said sure. Swish. I got cheers and "sign her up!" from the people behind me. Embarassing point: When I was dating my husband, I got to shoot from half court at halftime in the Meadowlands. I got so nervous, I practically threw it straight up in the air.

I remember many good years - like 1989, ending in a 1-point overtime loss to Michigan in the NCAA finals (and Daryll Walker's unsuccessful Hail Mary last shot of the game) following the Pirates' stunning semifinal victory over Duke. And I remember when we finally beat Syracuse (I was at that game, a little blue spot in a sea of orange since my coworkers from Syracuse bought the tickets) after about 10 years of straight losses.

I remember the bad year, too - the "dream team" Eddie Griffin year comes to mind, where we started the season at the top of everybody's rankings and wound up near the bottom of the Big East. And I recall the funny: Gyratin' Joe, but he, and the messages painted on his belly, called it off years ago.

I don't know how this season's going to turn out. I don't know how I'm going to like the new coach. I just know I'll be tuning in to the TV and radio, cheering in delight (I hope) or yelling in frustration at bad plays and bad calls. Loudly. That used to freak out my neighbors in my long-ago single days when I lived alone. It embarasses my kids now. Go Pirates! Please!!!!!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for telling your fans of these memories of yours, Clare. I, for one, really enjoyed reading them.

Do me a favor and thank your Dad for helping to keep Seton Hall the great Catholic university that it is.

11/04/2006 09:06:00 AM  
Blogger Clare McDowell said...

Will do. Thanks!

11/06/2006 10:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home