Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Maybe it's the parents who need coaches

Are you ready for some football? It's a good day to be a Giants' fan, but that's not what I'm talking about. The defeat of Dallas at Dallas is sweet, but the football story that caught my attention was the brief we had on page 5 Tuesday: "Dad pulls gun on his son's football coach."
A 40-year-old Philadelphia father was upset because his son wasn't getting enough playing time. This was for a team of 6- and 7-year-olds. Can you imagine? The kids were right there.
I've coached soccer and basketball, up to third grade. At that age, it should just be about fun, learning the game and sportsmanship. In later years, the sports will get more aggressive and competitive, but the primary grades shouldn't have that pressure, from coaches or from parents. I've been fortunate. My kids' coaches (besides me and my husband) have all been fair, upbeat and positive. I know there are some lousy coaches out there, but there are even lousier parents. We've all seen them and have been mortified by their behavior. If they're not happy, they should get out there and do some coaching themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home