Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Stalked by Joe Piscopo?

Last week, I activated my voice mail service that will send me an e-mail when I get a message on my machine at home. I'm deactivating it. At least until tomorrow. The last few days I've received several - today's highlights were calls from Bill Clinton and Joe Piscopo. "Hi! It's me, Joe Piscopo. Yes it's me, Joe Piscopo." Oooooookay. I didn't doubt him the first time. Then he went into his get-out-the-vote speech that I didn't listen to. I voted hours earlier. And nothing any last-minute phone call I get will influence me anyway.

The phone is ringing more now than the week we took away our oldest's cell phone. But these canned messages are such a pain. It's much more fun to get a live person. Then, if you let your youngest one answer, you can listen in to the frustration as they beg the child to get Mommy or Daddy, only to hear, "I free years old!" over and over again.

3 Comments:

Blogger Clare McDowell said...

They're awful. We got a note from a reader this morning saying he or she was a caretaker for someone who just had open heart surgery and was bothered day and night by these calls.
It's sickening that legislators hold themselves above the laws they pass, such as the do-not-call list, applying it to everyone else but themselves.

11/08/2006 10:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only did those calls bother the heck out of me but the thing I resent most is that they are recorded and I can't have any fun answering them back. For instance I would like to have informed that Pat Boone fellow that I knew his brother Daniel well in the old days. And how I would have loved to tell Bill Clinton that I'm willing to change my name to Monica if it'll help. Of course the fact that I'm in my mid 80s makes it very unlikely that this offer would be received with much enthusiasm.

11/09/2006 07:00:00 PM  
Blogger Clare McDowell said...

good one! thanks for the laugh!

11/10/2006 10:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home