Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Monday, December 11, 2006

Code word: expensive

When I bought my car in 2000, it came with a new security device: a coded key. Sounds great, but if you lose it, it'll cost ya. A return to the dealer for a new key will run you about $100. A locksmith can get you one for a little less than half that. Then you have to go to your auto manual to learn how to program it. But you usually need two already-programmed keys to program the third, or at least you do with mine.
So I'm down to two keys already. Third one should be somewhere in our house, but I can't be sure. It also might have found its way into the garbage via some little, well-intentioned hands. But I want a third key, to have my keys, my spares and my emergency key that's kept in a safe place.
From what I understand, the keys can prevent auto theft because every time the engine is started, if it doesn't detect the code from the key, it won't operate. I guess that means no hot-wiring, not that there's a line of people waiting to steal my minivan with the interior that's been drawn on, spilled on and covered with sand and wet beach towels.
I miss the days when I could get a spare at any store for a couple of bucks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home