Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Can't see the forest for the typos

Poor Brendan Byrne. First the arena bearing his name was changed, with the naming rights sold to Continental Airlines. Then he gets a forest named after him. A forest! That's much cooler than an arena. When then-Gov. McGreevey renamed the Lebanon State Forest as "Brendan T. Byrne State Forest" in 2002, it prompted Byrne to joke, "it's nice to be immortal again."
But the new AAA road maps for New Jersey identify his newer namesake as the "Brenda Bryan State Forest." Seems Byrne has been immortalized as a woman!
I'm not big on naming things after people. Or airlines or banks. I still call the Garden State Arts Center by that name. And when I go to a Seton Hall basketball game, I simply say I'm going to the Meadowlands. But if I ever have a hankering to visit the swath of woods in Ocean and Burlington counties, I'll think of Brenda.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brendan Byrne gave us the state income tax and Chief Justice Robert Wilentz. He deserves whatever is coming to him.

11/30/2006 09:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, Margaret. We all need to be more careful.

BTW, it's supposed to be "Not too long ago a baby ... "

12/05/2006 04:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home