Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Friday, November 24, 2006

Scams and spams

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I'm looking forward to my favorite leftover: a turkey, stuffing, cranberry and mayo sandwich. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM-mmmmmmmmm.
But back at work today, I started going through the editorial page e-mails and got to wondering: How did we get on some of these lists?
We get the spam-scams, usually addressed to "My Beloved" or "Dearest One": Someone from some European or African country and is either dying, representing someone who died or and they want us to help them safely get their millions of dollars to the United States. If we'll just give them our bank number, Social Security, etc. Who falls for these?
We get e-mails from some Cleveland night club, telling us of their latest promotions. Now, Randy, Larry and I aren't likely to be found at a local nightclub, much less a Cleveland one. That one always cracks me up. How did we get on their e-mail list?
We also get e-mails from a company that sells quirky things, like this "great gift idea" for people who are sick of bringing bananas to school or work, only to find them crushed and bruised: A BANANA SAFE BOX. It allows for the safe transport and storage of individual bananas, letting you enjoy perfect bananas anytime, anywhere. What a cool Christmas gift to the banana lover! Price: USD$ 30. Thirty bucks for a box to put a banana in?
Lately we've been getting e-mails from people all over the country, asking us to run their advertisements to sell pets and to send them the price of the ad. But they're obviously not legit. Here's how one opens: "I will like to place an Adverts of my Little yorkie Puppy for sale on your Here is my English Bulldog Description Below." Say what? The person's address was in Augusta, Geargia (sic).
On the same day, we got similar e-mails: a Kentucky woman looking to sell an English Bulldog; another Augusta, Ga., resident who wrote, "Hello, Its my pleasure to informed you that i will like to place and Ad for my little baby which is Yorkie" (no Georgia drawl there) and another Yorkie Puppy from "Reverend Mike" who addresses it to "Dear Sir/Ma" but this time, doesn't say where he's from.
What are these guys after?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have become a multi-millionare in cyber-space ..my e-mail has told me I have won untold millions in lottery,dead uncles wills ,and a oil well that will be mine if I send in a $10,000.00 bond ....but I rather be mixin' drinks a The Columns anyday

11/25/2006 10:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home