Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Friday, December 01, 2006

Maybe I should shoot for St. Patrick's Day cards

I have to figure out when I can buckle down and do the family Christmas cards. Each year, we send out about 50 or so cards to family and friends. We do the photo cards with a picture of our kids. Nothing formal, just a photo I take when I can get all four of them together and looking in the same direction.

I've decided that "Wait, look over here and smile!" shots turn out better than the ones where I dress them up and figure out a spot for them to pose. Individually, they're good at posing. Together, it's nearly impossible. It's probably better to get them by surprise now. Laughing smiles are better than forced smiles anyway.

It's December, and every year I say I'll have this done early. Then every year, I'm rushing to get the four of them in a shot together before Christmas, then flying off to get the cards done overnight. And I'm DEFINITELY not one of those card-senders who include a long essay on how well everyone's doing. I'm pretty sure people don't want to hear how excited we are that our youngest is potty trained.

Sometimes I call it a "New Years" card, knowing it's not likely to arrive before Dec. 25. Looking at the calendar for the next few weekends, we're all over the place, often split up (except at the dinner table, but food-laden smiles are pretty nasty). I'm thinking of taking their picture Christmas morning. They'll be smiling, looking cute in their PJs, and if my house is a mess, it'll be camouflaged with wrapping paper. If the cards don't arrive by New Year's, oh well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home