Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Giants and Pirates

Thank goodness for Seton Hall b-ball. The Pirates are taking the sting out of the last few Giants losses. I don't watch a lot of sports, but I make it a point to follow those two teams. The Giants were riding high until a few weeks ago. I wore a Giants shirt last weekend during the stunning 4th quarter loss, and refused to wear it this weekend, figuring it was unlucky. I guess that wasn't the problem.
I've done things like that with Seton Hall. If they're winning but start losing after I tune in and they start losing, I think I jinxed 'em.
Each year, sports writer Tony Graham and I have the "How's the Seton Hall-Monmouth game going to go" conversation. As the season started, Tony stopped me and said, "Maybe this is the year Monmouth will beat the Hall." After the loss to Fairleigh Dickinson, I was worried.
I'm not expecting a bang-up year, but I was really surprised by the pounding they gave Monmouth last night. That, and the St. Mary's game last weekend, gives me hope that they'll hold their own against the bigger guns in the Big East. I hope so.
The next in-work rival is when the Pirates take on Princeton. Randy Bergmann is a big Princeton fan. He's also my boss. We're planning to head up to the Meadowlands for that one. I've got to recheck the schedule and see how close the game is to my salary evaluation. That may sway how loudly I cheer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home